Seeds to Success Story
We strive to provide a resource for Louisiana students, parents, and teachers to find fun and educational materials related to agriculture and nutrition at both school and home. The Seeds to Success project sprouted out of a U.S. Department of Agriculture Farm to School grant. It started with the idea that our relationship with food transforms when we are able to experience it unfolding, from seed to plate.
The project is funded through the Louisiana Department of Education Division of Nutrition Support in collaboration with the Louisiana Farm to School Program of Louisiana State University Agricultural Center.
The Seeds to Success project is part of the greater Louisiana Farm to School Program. The goal of this collaborative effort is to support the implementation of farm to school programming around the state and support farm to school opportunities while increasing food literacy and access to fresh, locally grown food for the youth of Louisiana.
This website houses all you need to know about how to grow fruits and vegetables in Louisiana at your school or home, how to apply those skills to learning, and then how to turn your interests into a budding career.
- Seeds to Grow: Start here with gardening basics that provide a comprehensive background for a successful growing season.
- Seeds to Sow: Dig into fruit and vegetable guides containing information on the crop’s history, when, how, and where to plant, and which varieties grow best in Louisiana.
- Seeds to Know: Explore lessons, activities, and videos related to agriculture, organized by age group. No matter if you are a teacher, parent, youth, or youth at heart, all are hands-on, experiential, and fun! We worked closely with Louisiana educators to identify only the best lessons for teachers and link them to Louisiana State Curriculum Standards.
- Career Paths: Turn a passion for gardening and fresh food into a lifelong career!
- Resources: A shared space to advertise Louisiana farm to school activities by region. Helping to connect those who would like to be more involved in gardens or other farm to school activities with organizations and individuals that are doing great work.
Harvest of the Month
If you are looking for a way to engage your school or the community, the Louisiana Harvest of the Month program is a great complement to Seeds to Success. Another program within the Louisiana Farm to School Program, Louisiana Harvest of the Month can help launch or grow a farm to school program, as it provides an easy-to-follow framework and ready-to-use materials. It showcases locally grown foods each month through beautifully designed marketing materials such as posters, and activities such as serving local items in a taste test, meal, or snack. Participating sites will receive a free packet of materials as well as guides and additional resources.
Join the Program
Create an account to save crop guides from Seeds to Sow and lesson plans from Seeds to Know! You can also add places, events, and organizations to the Louisiana resource page and request free growing materials (for Louisiana teachers only).
Join the Seeds to Success Facebook group to connect with fellow Louisiana gardeners and teachers in an open, interactive forum. Ask and answer gardening questions, exchange tips on lesson plans and activities, and share valuable resources.